Giuseppe J. Raviola, MD, MPH
- 2012 MPH Harvard School of Public Health (Clinical Effectiveness)
- 2002 MD Harvard Medical School
- 1994 BA Dartmouth College (History)
- 2006-08 Residency in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- 2003-06 Residency in Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital
- 2002-03 Internship in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital
Giuseppe J. Raviola, a board-certified adult and child/adolescent psychiatrist, is an instructor in psychiatry and in global health and social medicine at Harvard Medical School and the medical director of the Psychiatry Quality Program in the Department of Psychiatry at Children’s Hospital Boston (CHB). In his role at CHB he provides oversight of the Department’s patient safety, quality, and outcomes initiatives, and works with various departmental services to assess and improve the quality of patient care provided. This work provides grounding for his roles in global health as the director of the Program in Global Mental Health and Social Change (PGMHSC) in the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at HMS, and as the director of Mental Health for Partners In Health (PIH). In the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine Dr. Raviola works to advance efforts related both to training and education, and research, promoting excellence in global mental health care delivery in the countries with which the program partners and at Harvard Medical School. In his role with PIH he works to integrate mental health services into the care provided at PIH sites, supporting local team leaders in Haiti, Rwanda and elsewhere on issues related to mental health care delivery. To that end, he oversees clinical, training, and research efforts relating to mental health in collaboration with in-country colleagues. Dr. Raviola is also co-director of medical student education in psychiatry at CHB, and maintains a clinical practice in the community for children, adults, and families.
- Introduction to Social Medicine
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Dr. Raviola has studied and written on child and adolescent mental health concerns, and the mental health and well-being of health care workers. He has published in areas of interest including clinical psychiatry, research in ethnography and cultural anthropology, HIV/AIDS in Africa, and mental health policy. As an advocate for community and global mental health concerns, he seeks to promote the need for incorporating effective, evidence-based mental health programs within existing community and health care infrastructures.
- Expanding a scalable model for community mental health in Haiti with PIH, Zanmi Lasante, and the Haitian Ministry of Health
- Strengthening mental health service delivery, infrastructure, and research capacity in rural Rwanda with PIH, Inshuti Mu Buzima, and the Rwandan Ministry of Health
- The Dr. Mario Pagenel Fellowship in Global Mental Health Delivery, PIH
- Bass J, Bornemann T, Burkey M, Chehil S, Chen L, Copeland JRM, Eaton WW, Ganju V, Hayward E, Hock RS, Kidwai R, Kolappa K, Lee PT, Minas H, Or F, Raviola GJ, Saraceno B, Patel V. A United Nations General Assembly Special Session for Mental, Neurological and Substance Use Disorders: The Time Has Come. PLoS Medicine. In press.
- Raviola G, Eustache E, Oswald C, Belkin G. Mental Health Response in the Aftermath of the 2010 Haiti Earthquake: A Case Study for Long-Term Solutions. Harvard Review of Psychiatry. In press.
- Morse M, Raviola G, Fricchione G, Berger E. Telesupervision for Medical Student Rotations in Global Health Psychiatry. Academic Psychiatry. In Press.
- Belkin G, Unützer J, Kessler R, Verdeli H, Raviola G, Sachs K. Scaling Up for the "Bottom Billion": 5 x 5 Implementation of Community Mental Health Care in Low-Income Regions. Psychiatric Services. 62(12). December, 2011.
- Raviola G, Becker AE, Farmer P. A global scope for global health: mental health in the ensemble. The Lancet. October 17, 2011.
- Raviola G, Gosselin G, Walter H, DeMaso D. Pervasive Developmental Disorders and Childhood Psychosis in Nelson’s Textbook of Pediatrics, 18th edition, in press, 2011.
- Espinola-Nadurille M, Vargas Huicochea I, Raviola G, Ramirez-Bermudez J, Kutcher S. Mental health care reforms in Latin America: child and adolescent mental health services in Mexico. Psychiatric Services. 61(5). May, 2010.
- Raviola G. Health Care Professional Mental Health and Well-Being in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Perspectives from Sub-Saharan Africa. Manuscript submitted for a compendium on Psychiatry in Africa, edited by Emmanuel Akyeampong, Allan Hill, and Arthur Kleinman of Harvard University. 2008.
- Earls F, Raviola G, Carlson M. Promoting Child and Adolescent Mental Health in the Context of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic with a Focus on Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 49(3). March, 2008.
- Zanarini M, Frankenburg F, Yong L, Raviola G, Reich DB, Hennen J, Hudson J, Gunderson J. Borderline Psychopathology in the First-Degree Relatives of Borderline and Axis II Comparison Probands. Journal of Personality Disorders.18(5). October, 2004.
- Raviola G, Machoki M, Mwaikambo E, Good MJ. HIV, Disease Plague, Demoralization and ‘Burnout’: Resident Experience of the Medical Profession in Nairobi, Kenya. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry: An International Journal of Comparative Cross-Cultural Research. 26(1). March, 2002.